Not Exactly the Adventure I Was Looking For

So today was Adventure Monday, yay!! But there was also a twist because I had to work today (and will for the next 2 Mondays as well). Aside from that today was filled with some highs and some scares…

The day started out as all Mondays do, I woke up at 6am to retrieve my produce box from Full Circle off the front porch. Today’s box was full of all sorts of yummies…

Green leaf lettuce, zucchini, green garlic, broccoli, peaches, radishes and red potatoes. Plus the items I added to the order… carrots, salad greens, bananas, whole wheat cider bread and a fresh pasta sauce. The only bummer was that they were sold out of the CBs Pumpkin Seeds I ordered, so I didn’t get those.

Also as per tradition, once I unpacked the box, took pictures and put everything away, I headed back to bed for a couple more hours. (I normally sleep from around midnight to 8am since I rarely start work before 11)

Once I woke up, it was time for my weigh in. Somehow I have moved the day I weigh from Sunday to Monday, but it works. I was hoping to have lost the 0.8 lbs I needed to hit my 40 lb weight loss goal. I did that and more, losing a total of 1.8lbs this week to come in at 41 lbs lost so far! It feels like since I stopped my formal workout plan and stopped tracking, I am losing at a much faster rate than normal.

I was feeling pretty pumped and ready for the day. Since I had to work today, we had to modify Adventure Monday a bit, but since I didn’t have to go to work until 4pm, it still worked out. After  a little over a week of utterly gorgeous weather, Mother Nature decided to remind us that we live in Seattle and yesterday it started raining again. We decided we were going to head out to the Ballard Locks even if it was raining, because we could hang out watching the salmon climb the fish ladder under ground… unfortunately we didn’t find out until we arrived that the fish ladder was closed for maintenance until May 25th.  And it was pouring!

So we still walked out to the locks to check things out. The locks are very similar (and were built around the same time) to the locks in the Panama Canal designed to move ships from one elevation to another. In the case of our locks, the ships are moving between Puget Sound and Lake Washington.

Looking into one of the locks on the Lake Washington side, full almost to the top.

Standing in the same location looking towards the Sound, notice how much lover the water level is!

Letting water out of Lake Washington into the Sound. The fish ladder is located to the right side of the photo.

In addition to the locks, the park is also a botanical garden. Because of all of the rain, I didn’t get a lot of pictures, but we are already planning to go back on a sunny day to tour the gardens and see the fish ladder.

You can’t even tell it was pouring down rain when I took these pictures!

We didn’t stay very long because of the rain, but did tour the visitor center before leaving. We then hit the Grocery Outlet and stocked up on groceries for the week. Before heading home for lunch, then I needed to head out to work.

When I arrived at work, I could instantly tell that something wasn’t quite right. Quite literally as I was walking in the door, my boss was receiving a death threat over the phone. I think the first words out of my mouth when I saw her was “Are you OK?” to which she responded “No” and let us know about the phone call she had just received. We called the police to report it and our Loss Prevention person to find out how we should handle things. They decided that it was most likely a crank call and to proceed as normal. Needless to say we were all very freaked out about it, especially my boss for multiple reasons. So my shift at work was incredibly stressful, not only because of the threat and its effect on us, but also because we have inventory tomorrow and were trying to get everything ready, plus trying to ensure that we were all safe. We made it through the night without incident, but are taking additional precautions going forward to ensure that no one is in the store alone.

I wish I could say that was the end of the “adventures” for the day, but there was still one more. When I work until closing I have a 35-50 minute wait for my bus after work. Last week there was an incident at the transit center on a night I didn’t ride the bus, add that to the whole scare at work and I was really hyper-aware of my surroundings. Of course tonight would be the night that there is hardly anyone around when some random man starts talking to me. Sure he was probably harmless, but it really just set me on edge (and made me wish that I had accepted my roommate’s offer to come pick me up from work when I told her what happened). Thankfully nothing happened, my bus arrived (he didn’t get on it) and I came home. But it certainly makes me pretty happy for the self-defense courses I’ve taken in the past.

All in all, it wasn’t a bad day, just filled with a little too much of the type of adventure I don’t necessarily look for in my life! There will not be an Adventure Monday next week, even though its Memorial Day, I will be working all day. But the following week, we’ll be having an Adventure Sunday instead!

Have you ever had a frightening situation at work?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s