I have been struggling this week to get back on track with my workouts. After the long stretch of 17 hour days and going 23 days without a day off, my body was initially exhausted, but now I feel like I’ve fallen into a rut that I need to break out of. I have had 2 really strong strength workouts so far this week, but hardly any cardio. And I seem to be spending way too much time sitting in front of the computer wasting time on sites like Pinterest, Good Reads and Facebook. I love all of these sites and they can be useful tools, but when they start coming between me and my healthy lifestyle, its time to call a halt.
Yesterday I did some grocery shopping and stocked up on the things I need for healthy, nutritious breakfasts and lunches. I committed to myself that I am going to stop buying lunches and start bringing them with me. Unfortunately I overslept this morning after a bad night’s sleep and did not get a chance to eat breakfast, but I did pack lunch… but not my water bottle, so I am very short on water for the day.
Because I have not been getting my cardio in, I am going to start walking to work again (and from on days I get off early). This will build at least a 2 mile walk 5-6 days a week. In addition to that, I plan to start hitting the gym immediately after work again, rather than relying on myself to get in a cardio workout at home. I have no problems doing strength at home, but am really resistant to at home cardio workouts right now. (I have no idea why and may have to blog on this separately to see what I can come up with). I also need to get back on track with my running training so that I am ready for my 5K in June.
I am doing well with my strength workouts, I think that I just need to kick them up a notch and increase my resistance.
My goals for the next week to finish out March are as follows:
1. Drink water! Before I can drink any other beverages (except chocolate milk after my workouts), I need to have at least 6 of my 8 glasses of water in.
2. Move more! I will walk to work every day this week. Walking home is a bonus but I need to at least walk there.
3. Get back in the gym! I want to get in at least 3 gym cardio sessions this week… namely my 5K training, though I would like to get in some cross training on the bike or elliptical as well, and a Zumba class if it works with my schedule.
4. Eat healthier! Fix a nutritious breakfast and pack a healthy lunch every day. Dinner is open, but should be a healthier option if available.
5. Up the resistance! Start increasing the resistance in my strength training by moving to heavier dumbbells and/or adding resistance bands.
April is just around the corner and I want to get myself back to my workout rhythm so that I can really kick things up and move forward towards my goals!